Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Practical Scrappers Snow Globe Card


Hi Krafters!

This is the most wonderful time of the year! Thanksgiving was awesome and Christmas is right around the corner.  Each year, I make at least one snow globe/shaker card for Christmas. The reason why I only make one is because the process is very time consuming. I had to cut up foam tape and layer it and ensure the tape was not showing under the transparency…while the outcome was lovely, I would be beat! Honestly, I was not looking forward to my annual undertaking.

 A few months back, Practical Scrappers had the Frugal Finds: Jar Lids. I would save lids and other things without a real reason other than, “I will use this for something later.” As I looked through the wonderful projects that day, I saw Charity’s shaker card! It clicked! I have been doing the snow globe card ALL WRONG! So thank you PS for the Frugal Finds and thank you Charity for being the inspiration for this card J Check out Charity’s blog for her instructions.

The first thing I did was use sandpaper for the jar lid and painted it with Gesso. Once the Gesso dried, I painted the lid (outer rim and inside) with two coats of gold paint.

As that dried, I used the Cricut Craft Room to design the snow globe. I used the Joys of the Season Cricut cartridge for the globe shape. I welded two of them together and cut three individual shapes; two for stability and one for the sentiment. 

I also designed the focal image from the Santa’s Village Cricut cartridge in CCR. I used my largest Classic Circle Spellbinders Die to cut the image out as well as a piece of transparency. I added the decorative sand and a few snowflakes (cut from a border punch by Fiskars). 

I placed the transparency on top and used a little adhesive to hold the transparency and sand in place. To adhere the “globe” I used hot glue. Embellish as you wish!





I hope you enjoyed today’s project! Pop over by Practical Scrappers and show some love! Thanks for stopping by, Krafthead~

Supplies:

Paper Trey Ink
Santa’s Village
Mr. Frosty
Joys of the Season
Jar Lid
Folk Art Metallic Gold Paint
I Am Roses-poinsettia
Ribbon
Martha Stewart Branch Punch
Sentiment Punch
Ranger Gold Embossing Powder
Versa Mark
Fiskars Snowflake Border Punch
Decorative Sand

4 comments:

  1. Stunning Kenya!! What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Loving the detail! You always show the utmost attention to the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry Miss Kenya but I've tried and failed miserably! Do you give card lessons IRL?

    ReplyDelete