Friday, January 20, 2012

Scrapbookpal.com Design Team Entry

Happy Friday Krafters!

I know many of us use plastic or cash when we pay for items. I know I prefer to pay with these methods as well. However, I still pull out my checkbook often to pay bills, for church offerings/tithe and to give checks for birthdays. One day I was writing a check and thought yuck, my holder looks crappy! It was the standard bank issued one. Yeah that one L At that moment, I was determined to cover it!
I actually took my thought a bit further and made my own (the original one was in bad shape). Now I am sure this was a fade when checks were popular, but that does not matter. I go with what I feel J
Here is how I put my checkbook holder together:
I trimmed a sheet of Bazzill to 6.75”x7.5”. Then I used my score board to score the base at 3.25”, 3.75” and 7.00”. Take a bone folder and fold on all of the score lines. Since cardstock is the base, I used duck (I thought it was duct LOL) tape to reinforce the binding due to the stress it will be under with me opening and closing it. I also used for the closure as well (6” of tape folded a .75” of the way and tape down to the base). After applying the duck tape, I covered the base with two different patterns of The Paper Studio Antiquity Premium Cardstock using Scor Tape (that tape is really STRONG). I repeated the same steps in the inside the holder.

Inside of the holder, I added acrylic to the top and bottom. This is to hold the checkbook in place/to put between the checks and the duplicate sheets on the top portion. The acrylic was adhered with Scor Tape as well.


To embellish the outside, I used Mulberry paper and the largest Spellbinder’s Shapeabilities Mega Rose Creation die to make the rose on the closure. My hot glue gun came in handy for gluing down the layers. To make the paper easier to manipulate, I sprayed Gold Glimmer Mist on it and formed it while it was wet. Once it dries, the shape stays put and I was left a nice glimmer. Since I LOVE butterflies, I stamped four of them (three in the front and one in the back and added Crème Viva Décor Pen to the flourishes. I used half of Velcro Coins for the closure. I also stamped the word Blessings (my money is blessed and it is a blessing to have money) on the front of the holder.





Once everything was in place, I inked the edges with Walnut Stain. Finally, I added ribbon and trim to the spine. That’s it! It took approximately 45 minutes from start to finish to complete.

I hope you enjoyed today’s project. This is my entry to be on scrapbookpal's design team, please wish me well! Thanks for stopping by, Krafthead~
Materials:
Grand Calibur
Shapeabilities Rose Creation
The Paper Studio-Antiquity
Bazzill
Mulberry Paper-Brown, Green
Scor Tape
Hot Glue Gun
Glimmer Mist-Gold
Distress Ink-Walnut Stain, Evergreen Bough (leaves), Gathered Twigs (stamped images)
Ribbon
Pearl Trim
Acrylic
Viva Décor Pan-Cream
Sentiment stamp
Cloud 9 Stamps
Duct Tape-White
Velcro

3 comments:

  1. Lovely project! Best wishes on your DT entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should make paying those bills a tiny bit easier, so pretty! Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so clever. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete