Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hello Kitty!

Happy Monday Krafters!
Hope everyone had a good and productive weekend! I was really busy! My second oldest turned five years old Saturday so we had a very small party for her. The weather was beautiful by the way LOL. I have to admit, I like hello Kitty as well, but I can stand to wait until the next time I see anything Hello Kitty LOL.!
I made the cake (from scratch and the frosting-love to bake, not a master at it…yet). After months of waiting, I finally pulled out the Cricut Cake Machine to help decorate my baby’s cake. Now I have to confess, it really isn’t as easy as the advertisements made it out to be. I am sure some of it was user error since it was my first attempt. However, you would think it would be pretty cut (no pun intended) and dry..right? WRONG! I used the frosting sheets for the cuts (Hello Kitty Greetings Cartridge-silhouette feature). Just to cut out the design at 4.25”, I wasted approximately 2.5 sheets of frosting (3 comes in a pack). The machine ripped the poor frosting sheets to shreds. After much discouragement, frustration and adjustments, I used a less intricate design (really wasn’t that detailed, but whatever) and it cut out nicely.
Then I attempted to cut out the wording…..letters were cut at 1” using the Hello Kitty Font Cartridge. If I had to do all over again, I would have used the round letter feature on this cartridge instead because it cut out better. I learned this after the fact. The font I used I had to have a pressure of 3 and a speed of two for the best cut. Even with that, it did not cut out the y well. It took several attempts until I just scored it and cut the outline with a knife. Once I had all of the die cuts on the cake, I added a design to the cake using my star decorating cake tip. I also added pink gel to the bow. The cake didn’t turn out how I imagined it, but my daughter was happy with it J
Now that I have a feel for the machine and with more practice, I think the red machine and I will get along just nicely. I have plenty of ideas and opportunities (I have four children) to use the machine to the max.
 I will bore you any further; here is the finished product (my first attempt):

Materials:
Cricut Cake Machine
Hello Kitty Font Cartridge
Hello Kitty Greetings Cartridge
Frosting Sheets (chocolate  brown and primary colors)
Wilton’s Sparkling Gel (pink)
Pastry Tube with #6 tip


3 comments:

  1. Really cute cake. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake came out beautiful and since your daughter was happy with it nothing else matters! Don't wait too long before you use that little red machine again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cake! I'm sure it was delish.

    ReplyDelete